Atlasta Home Sanctuary
Atlastahome has a strict adoption program. All prospective "families" are screened for compatibility, and to ensure the little piggy is going to a good home. "We are more apt to tell you why you don't need one of the residents here than why you do." Before considering adoption, you should look into online resources, and the library for information on Potbellied pigs, so you can learn what they are like. You should also check into the zoning laws in your area, to make sure you are allowed to have them, you may also want to talk to your neighbors, to make sure there won't be any conflicts.
1. You should check the zoning ordinances to make sure you can keep your adoptee. This applies regardless of whether you live in the city or the country.
2. You must visit at least 3 times. You need to determine if the size is right for you.
3. You must find, or make housing available to the adoptee.
4. You need to find a vet in your area. Just in case of an emergency.
5. Finally, their is a $100 adoption fee.
6. If you live in a homeowner's association, you must get their approval in writing (most homeowner's associations don't allow pigs).
7. Consider this seriously as this is a long term comittment as most potbelly pigs live 15-20 years. They become very attached to their families and it can be devastating to the pig when they lose their families.
8. Please make sure adopting a pig is right for you before you make the comittment!
This is not a spur of the moment, spontaneous decision. We try to permanently place our residents.
Please note: the feral pigs are not available for adoption. They are available for sponsorships only.